The next time you cook rice, don’t throw the water away. It just happens that rice water is one of the best and cost efficient ways to pamper your skin and hair.
The science behind this is that Rice water is full of Vitamins and minerals that are work wonders and both skin and hair.
The use of rice water for beauty regimens is indigenous to Asia. Rice farmers in China, Japan and other Southeast Asian Countries who are constantly in touch with rice water straight from the farm have been observed to have very soft and beautiful skin; “they probably have the softest hands on the planet”, A tourist said.
One of the best things about rice is that it is easily assessable, making it one of the best DIY beauty products that can be made.
How to make Rice water
What you’ll need;
- Uncooked rice ( this could be any kind of rice)
There are 2 ways to make rice water, it really depends on which one an individual finds easier.
- Rinse rice thoroughly to remove impurities
- Soak 1 cup of uncooked rice in 3 cups of water
- Leave it to rest for about 10-24 hours
- Intermittently, swirl it around lightly and knead it until the water turns cloudy. This will help the needed vitamins and minerals to seep into the water
- Strain out the rice and keep the water in a jar.
This would last 4-5 days in the refrigerator
- Rinse the rice thoroughly
- Boil a cup of rice in about 4 cups of water until the water becomes cloudy and has reduced to about 3 cups
- Strain out the rice and keep the water in a jar
Now, you don’t want to make too much because it will get spoilt if it’s left for too long.
Rice water contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are essential for the skin. It contains Ferulic acid which is a great antioxidant and allatoin which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. You see now why Rice water works miracles on the face?
It can be used as Facial cleanser, Facial toner, Dark spot/ Dark circle remover, anti-eczema, acne (pimples) treatment, Sunburn soothe etc. Really, the list is unending
A beautiful thing about rice water is that you can apply it anyhow.
- Use cotton swab dab the rice water on your face and let it dry. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
(This can also be done by leaving the rice water over night on your face)
After rinsing off, apply any moisturizer of your choice.
- Rinse your face with rice water and let it dry. The rinse off with warm water
Rice water contains inositol, a carbohydrate that helps to strengthen elasticity and reduce surface friction. Using rice water as hair treatment will not only strengthen the hair and repair damages; it will also hasten hair growth. Rice water can be used as
- Hair Rinse – After shampooing, pour rice water on your hair and massage it in gently, then rinse off thoroughly with plain water. Use this once or twice a week. It will add shine to your hair and help keep it strong and healthy.
- Hair Conditioner – add a few drops of essential oils of choice to the rice water, pour it in your hair and let it sit for 10 minutes, then rise off with plain cold water.
Now, don’t just use rice water alone. In addition to including rice water in your beauty regimen, you can also drink rice water. It will boost your overall body health and if you can’t drink rice water, drink regular water. Strengthen your body from the inside out.
- do not boil rice with salt
- You can cook your fermented rice after extracting the water
There are also ways to include rice water in soaps, body creams and other skin care products and DIYs. These and the health benefits of rice water will be discussed in the next blog.
Remember to shop at Wanabuy. Don’t just get good skin, adorn it with good outfits
Don't forget to drop your comments.